Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Could Not Make This Story Up

Notwithstanding the fact that the urologist didn't find or remove any stones in the OR yesterday, Jack is a new kid today.  I can honestly say, he looks the best he has looked in months. The intensivist commented this morning that the sparkle is back in Jack's eyes.  I asked the urologist again, what exactly he did in the OR since there were no stones to remove. He said he did some lasering of the tissue in the kidney. He also got out a large blood clot that resulted from the placement of the neph tubes.  When I asked what could be the reason for the drastic change in Jack's pain level, he did say that trying to pass the blood clot could be as painful as passing a stone.  That would explain Jack's weekend from hell.  But, what about the pain that got him admitted?  We do know that he had a UTI and a lingering impaction issue (although that is debatable), but you wouldn't think that would be enough to cause the pain that put him in here and kept him here for two weeks.  How do you go from having extreme pain to having no pain with no absolute source or fix? If I didn't know for sure that I have actually been sleeping on a plastic chair and/or bench in an intensive care unit the last 16 nights, I'd think I made this whole thing up.

They transitioned Jack to his home vent today which, surprising to me, wasn't an easy transition.  Jack apparently likes the support of the hospital vent better.  But, after a couple of hours, he settled in on his home vent. They pulled the neph tubes this afternoon and unless Jack throws us a curve ball, we are OUT.OF.HERE tomorrow! Thank you God.

The nephrologist on service just stopped by and she shared a lot of good information about what the potential causes could be (there appear to be more than one) for the kidney stones, what we need to monitor and what we can give Jack, medication-wise, to help reduce the recurrence.  I always connect better with doctors who give me logical explanations for things and what this doctor had to say was very logical.  So, basically, I'm not walking away a skeptic, which I tend to be when it comes to doctors.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we have our "happy Jack" back.  Time will tell.  Thank you for all your support and well wishes  - Jack and I cherish all of you.

7 comments:

Victoria said...

Sigh. So relieved Jack is happyjack again! Now take all the good news and run with it...as far away from the hospital as possible. Continued love and prayers sent your way.
Victoria Nelson

Cindy said...

Sounds encouraging Ann. So happy to hear that Jack is comfortable. Both a UTI and/or bowel problems can certainly cause a lot of discomfort. It's so hard to tell with our kids who can't tell us what is bothering them. Hopefully whatever it was is gone for good! {{{HUGS}}}

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!

Sarah said...

Hopefully this is the end of Jack's year from hell. Hoping you are both home today. Hugs!

Eric Fischer said...

It is great news to hear that your son is feeling better. Finally you'll be able to recuperate some much needed strength.
I can add though that for different reasons my son Segev goes through these bouts of paroxysmal mystery pain since 2004. The last time lasted for three months - which were hell on earth - and then suddenly stopped inexplicably. Neurological in origin? No one knows but we (you) will keep looking to make the lives of our children sweeter.

bettyd said...

I am glad there is some smile back in your Jack. Hope you make it home by the weekend - if not sooner.

Susan said...

That does sound logical, UTI caused impaction and pain, blood clot caused further pain. Removing all those factors = no more pain. I sure hope they are right. I'm glad things seem to have turned around and you are being released. I am especially happy to hear Jack is returning to his usual happy self. That will be a huge relief to you. You guys have had a really tough time and I am excited for that it seems it is drawing to a close. XOXO.