Sunday, October 31, 2010

Simple Gifts

I sure miss those days when my kids dressed up for Halloween as nice things ....  like pumpkins and Disney characters.  



Halloween had a sparse turnout here in the desert.  I'm beginning to think that trick-or-treating has become a thing of the past.  I could have skipped it all together, but I reminded myself that Eric is still a little kid and he is entitled to enjoy the things his sibs and cousins did when they were his age.  It really stinks to be one of the youngest cousins in the group, as Eric usually ends up trick-or-treating solo.  

I shared this picture on Facebook, but wanted to share it here too.  This is especially for my friend Stella  Julie!  (don't mind the kid in the background getting ready to attack me with his scythe!)



We enjoyed a quiet and relaxing weekend (if you consider getting up at 5:45am this morning and going on a two hour hike relaxing).  I was listening to Christmas music on my iPod (don't laugh) on my hike and when I got to the top of the mountain and sat down to rest, the song "Simple Gifts" started playing.  I closed my eyes and allowed myself to just hear and feel the words.  I felt myself relax for the first time in a long time.  The timing of the song was perfect and something I desperately needed to be reminded of.

Here is the version of the Simple Gifts that I was listening to (Alison Krauss and Yo-Yo Ma).




May you all have a week of peace and simplicity.

A special little boy is celebrating his 12th birthday this week.  More on that later.

6 comments:

worthy said...

lol! thanks for that Ann! haven't got onto fb this morning yet :)
Your little trick or treater looked great, Sam doesn't understand what trick or treat is all about so I've got away with doing that one now. It is pretty quiet around here, we only got one small groupo of teenage girls last night, there are mostly older people on our street, very few kids.
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful song, we need to be reminded of the simple things in life from time to time. Have a great week, looking forward to the birthday message! xx

Alicia said...

I love that picture of you with Eric in the background! That kid is always thinking, isn't he?

I also love that version of one of my favorite songs. I guess I know what I'll be downloading today!

Susan said...

I love that Eric wanted a scary costume. And I love that picture of you happily drinking your beer oblivious to the grim reaper behind you. Christmas music on Halloween, that I'm curious about. But I do love Allison Krauss. She's one of my very favorite singers. Maybe I'll put it on right now. I'm glad you had some relaxing moments over the weekend.

ssouth said...

Simple Gifts was put to new lyrics for "Lord of the Dance". It's one of the few songs I have memorized so I sang it to Ben regularly in the NICU. Here's the words:

I danced in the morning when the world was begun
I danced in the Moon & the Stars & the Sun
I came down from Heaven & I danced on Earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth:

Dance then, wherever you may be
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said He!


I danced for the scribe & the pharisee
But they would not dance & they wouldn't follow me
I danced for fishermen, for James & John
They came with me & the Dance went on:

I danced on the Sabbath & I cured the lame
The holy people said it was a shame!
They whipped & they stripped & they hung me high
And they left me there on a cross to die!

I danced on a Friday when the sky turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body & they thought I'd gone
But I am the Dance & I still go on!

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the Life that'll never, never die!
I'll live in you if you'll live in Me -
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!

betty d said...

I've seen that photo of Eric behind you at least 3 times, and it cracks me up each time. I hear the Psycho EEK-EEK stabbing audio each time.

Christy said...

Hysterical photos. Missed it on FB. Hardly ever on there anymore. I told Murphy he wasn't allowed a full face mask costume. Then I took him to get a costume and realized that rule limited his choice to like 4 costumes. I guess next year I'll have to lift that ban. And he's already asked to be "the scream" next year. I said, "do you even know what that is?" He said it is a scary mask. Kids are funny.