Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Edge

This, my friends, is what will push a mother on the edge ... OVER!



Mary has a girlfriend spending the night tonight because they have to be at school extra early tomorrow for an AP test. For fear Mary's room would cause her friend to run from the house screaming, I snuck into Mary's room while she and her friend are watching Grey's Anatomy, hoping to at least clear a path to Mary's bed. The above picture is the number of empty, half-empty, barely empty and full water bottles I found scattered throughout Mary's room. This kind of stuff just drives me insane! (albeit a short trip.)

Mary really pushes the envelope when it comes to me trying to "keep the little things little".

*Sigh*

In other news, there's lots going on the next few weeks. Mary and I are headed to New Jersey next week for my niece's graduation from Rutgers. My sister rented a beach house on the Jersey shore, so we'll be hanging out there for a few days. A lot of scheduling was involved in getting additional nursing hours arranged and in making sure that Hilary and Eric have a way to and from school. (without me at home, Mark's ability to leave the house is severely restricted). Thankfully, we have wonderful nurses who are working extra and odd shifts to make sure Jack is taken care of. If all the planets and stars align just right and God has mercy on me ... everything will work out and everyone will be taken care of in my absence. I worry so much about Jack when I'm away from him. But, I have to get away on occasion or I'd lose what little of my mind I have left.

The following weekend is Hilary's high school graduation - which is why she's not coming to NJ with us. She can't afford to miss finals and they won't let her take them early.

The weekend after Hilary's graduation is my parent's 50th wedding anniversary celebration. I'm putting together a video for the event and while I promised myself I would not stay up into the wee hours of the morning working on it, my first night working on it ... I was up past midnight. The pictures I'm using are all old and have to be scanned in and cleaned up as best as possible with Photoshop. It's remarkable that I'm even working on the video at all considering my mother was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer two years ago and was not even supposed to be alive today. It will be a very emotional event, I'm sure. I'm really looking forward to having all my sibs in town. The last time we were all together was two years ago last Christmas. Fun times!

Other than that, there's not much going on here at the Schrooten Ranch. :-)

Cheers!

9 comments:

ssouth said...

I'm impressed the bottles all have lids.

Have a great time in the Atlantic!

The Marangella Family said...

I can beat you on the number of water bottles I take out of Ellie's room on just a weekly basis. But I'm super sure I can also beat you on the half-eaten food items, silverware and plates. How can such a pig have been born to a germaphobe, neat-nick? Have a super trip and RELAX!

worthy said...

Oh my, that's a lot of water bottles!
enjoy your break and come back rested. Try and relax!!

Anonymous said...

I understand about the water bottles. I find myself getting annoyed at that, too. Breanna litters the office with them.

I hope everything goes perfect and you have fun in NJ.

Sandra

Sarah said...

I second the bottle caps. Chris leaves water CUPS at his bedside. Occasionally in the middle of the night I'll hear a "whack" and a "splash". There goes another cup of water all over the floor. Last week I brought down 11 cups from his side of the bed! I hope you have a great trip with Mary. It takes so much organizing to get away. But I'm proud of you for taking the time to do so. Hugs my friend!

Cindy said...

Plenty going on, but lots of fun stuff.:-)

Unknown said...

Mary and my husband Ben could live together with tons of half-used water bottles everywhere! YIKES!!

Have fun in NJ!!

Sounds like a busy beginning of the summer!! :)

Faith said...

At least you know she's well hydrated. :)

Hope you have a blast!
Jen :)

bettyd said...

Have a great trip Ann.

I can't resist commenting on the bottles, though. I don't work for Brita, but I am an avid recycler. Do you know the cost of water per gallon when spent on water bottles is about 5 times that of gas? Also, all that plastic that avoids the bottle bill nickel returns/recycling here on the East Coast adds more to your local dump. And Dansani water is actually filtered tap water (that surprised me!)

http://lighterfootstep.com/2008/05/five-reasons-not-to-drink-bottled-water/

I know your arid climate means more care in keeping hydrated than where I live. Of course, my daughter is about 6 years from being a teenager who will forget all she preaches now about Reduce/Reuse/Recycle! I'll have to remember that when I find 20 water bottles in her room in 2014 :)

- Betty