Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Little Bit of Hilary

Hilary had to put together a video for her English class that described who she is today and how she got here. With a little help from her mom, here is a little bit about Hilary



~~~~~~~~~~

On the cochlear implant front, the testing they did showed that three of the electrodes aren't working, so they turned those off. I was concerned that the loss of the three electrodes would affect her hearing, but I was told that the other electrodes (there are 22 in total) recruit the sounds (frequencies) of the non-working electrodes. And, in fact, in the sound booth she actually hears higher frequencies better now. Her audiogram is pretty remarkable for a deaf person (it almost matches that of a normal hearing person). However, keep in mind that hearing with a cochlear implant is completely different than what we hear. In any event, all is well as of now.

9 comments:

Christy said...

That was adorable. I loved it. I've always wondered if you and your family sign with her (since I'm trying to teach Harlie, it's been on my mind). I loved learning more about Hilary. Her drawings are great! And a great song choice (the 2nd one I mean). Thanks for sharing!

Ann said...

Christy, we signed with Hilary for many years. However, she went to an oral school after she was implanted and signing was not allowed at school (although we still signed at home). Eventually, Hilary learned to hear well enough with her implant that signing isn't necessary. Occasionally, we'll sign when she has her implant off, but she's such a good lip reader now that she usually can tell what we are saying by reading our lips rather than by our signs.

Dana said...

IT was nice to see that Little Bit of Hilary. I am glad to get to know your family better. It was nice to see how well she draws. I hope she will love art school. How long before she graduates?

Anonymous said...

Wow Ann, Hilary's drawings are amazing. I hope she does fulfill her dream of being a famous cartoonist one day, that sort of talent needs to be recognised. Wish her the best of luck with art school :)

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness...what an amazing young lady; you must be so proud as her Mama! I have no doubt we will see her in the comics soon....

Anonymous said...

That is really cool. Hilary is very talented. Her drawings are wonderful.

Sandra

Stefano and Christina said...

Hilary- you're future is BRIGHT :)
awesome job on the video!
xo c

Cindy said...

Excellent job; A+

Sarah said...

Hilary's drawings are fabulous! The only gripe I have is that I haven't seen a cartoon of your entire family together. That would be AWESOME! I hope Hilary is able to get into her school of choice when the time comes.