Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Answers

If the two of us could leave tomorrow for a girls weekend to some exotic location, where would we go?

We only get a weekend? If I was limited to a weekend, I'd pick San Francisco. I'm not sure if that qualifies as "exotic". If I could get away for a few weeks, I'd pick Ireland. Again, not sure that qualifies as exotic. I do have plans to escape to the Caribbean next February with my friend Peg. We are going on this 7-day cruise. Celtic Spring - one of the Irish groups performing on the cruise, is a family of kids whose parents I went to college with. You wanna come, Anne?

what's your favourite drink (alcoholic, or otherwise) and who would you prefer to share it with?

I love an ice cold beer -- my favorite these days is a Blue Moon with a slice of orange. I'd prefer to share it with my trach-board girlfriends. Nothing like a few beers to get me talking.

Just wonder how you manage to work and take care of all that you have to do?

I'm wondering the same thing too! I have a lot of help ... my husband, my sister and Jack's nurses make it all possible. My husband works from 7am-4:30pm, so he is out the door early - which leaves me with morning duty, but he is home earlier than me - so he gets homework/dinner duty. I get all three kids up and out the door to school and usually get into the office around 9:15am. I usually don't get home until around 7pm. I have very reliable nurses who show up at my house M-F at 7am - on time and who almost never miss a day of work. Jack's nurses also help out with the never ending laundry when they can. It's not something I ask them to do, but I sure do appreciate it. Our nurse leaves when Mark gets home, except for the days Eric has soccer - then she stays longer (usually working a 12 hour day). I have a sister who has made it possible for Mary to actively participate in Irish dance because my niece also dances and they take Mary along with them for most performances and competitions. Mark handles most the appointments (dentist, orthodontist, doctors) for all the kids but Jack. I handle all of Jack's appointments, meetings, etc. It also helps that I have very understanding bosses and a lot of flexibility in my job. I have an office where I can shut the door and take care of Jack-related stuff when I need to.

I'm pretty good at multi-tasking. For example, while I'm working on this blog response, I'm scanning pictures on the other computer for a video I'm putting together, I helped Eric brush his teeth and got him to bed, I ran down stairs and put a video in for Jack and I started a load of laundry. After all the kids are in bed and asleep - usually around 10:30pm - I spend time working on the many projects I've got going on right now (facilitating a conference next month, my foundation and my "Dear Future Physician" project). I usually go to bed around 11:30 or midnight. Lately, I've been getting up at 4:30am a couple times a week to go to the YMCA to work out for 50 minutes (timing is everything). I make it back to the house in time to get everyone up and start the day.

Bottom line -- I've learned to function on very little sleep!

What is your profession?

I'm an attorney. I practice with a small law firm in a small, but growing city 40 miles south of Phoenix.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Since as long as I can remember, I wanted to be doctor. Here's my story. Considering how much time I've spent around doctors because of Jack, it's rather ironic, don't you think?

What would your perfect day consist of?

It's sound really selfish, but ... my perfect day would involve waking up (by myself) in some insanely expensive hotel room at a resort on a beach -- the Hotel Del Coronado would work for me. Having a light breakfast, walking along the beach and then meeting up with my sisters (or friends) for lunch. Followed by a pedicure and massage and then a short siesta. I'd meet my sisters (or friends) for happy hour drinks and dinner. I'd go back to my hotel room (by myself), take a long, hot bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub and read a book into the wee hours of the night.

Who was your fave band while you were in high school?

I don't think I really had one. I wasn't your typical teenager. I didn't hang out with friends or go to high school dances. I never even went to my high school prom. I was quiet and not very social in high school.

If you could have lunch with anyone, dead/alive who would it be?
(it better be me ;)

It would absolutely be you my Canadian friend, Tess! After you, it would be my Grandma Betty. She was the best grandma in the world and I sure miss her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to all who posed questions - that was fun.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Guess where I'm going in Sept.? San Francisco!! I love that place. I was just asked yesterday to go to a conference there with a group from the hospital. I'd say meet me there (it's over a weekend) but I'd have no time to play. :(

Hmmm, a cruise-that would be fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your answers Ann! I'll join you in that beer!

Juliex

Anonymous said...

Ow I just love your blogs!! I missed the one with the questions though.....;-(
I would have asked how in the world do you stay so young and vibrant. Every once in a while you post a picture of yourself and I am always in complete awe of all you do and have been through and how amazing you look! Seriously, I want the recipe.
Glad things seem to be going well!! Keep on blogging!
Hugs!
K