Monday, June 04, 2007

Lazy Days of Summer ...

Today was anything but a "lazy day" of summer. I'll try and give you a relatively short version and hopefully keep your attention!

I decided to sign Eric up for summer camp with our school district because I thought it would be good to get him in a routine before he starts Kindergarten. Camp begins at 7:45am and ends at 11:45am. I had it all figured out, I'd drop Eric off in the morning on the way to work and he would ride the school bus from the school where summer camp is to our home school (which is just around the block from our house) and Mary would meet Eric at the bus and walk home with him. Everything was set up and good to go. Then ... I get a call last week from the freshman girls' basketball coach wanting to know if Mary would be interested in attending their basketball camp. Camp runs from noon to 1:30pm. Sounds like a great way for Mary to make some friends before she starts high school and it can't hurt for her to learn a few basketball skills in the process. Only problem, I just lost the person who was supposed to meet Eric's bus at noon. Okay -- not a problem ... my niece Shannon will do Eric pick-up this week. Everything should run smoothly today.

I was home from work today because Jack had two doctors appointments. Our first appointment was with Jack's neurologist to get the botox injections to his salivary glands. We finished up early and had a few hours before we had to head across town to the pulmonologist's office. We decided to grab a quick lunch at the Mall. As I'm driving from the neurologist's office to the Mall, I notice the back tires of van are making a really loud noise and the van is kind of shaking. We get to the Mall and I completely forget to check the tires to see if they are low or flat. While at the Mall, I get a call from my niece telling me that Eric hasn't been dropped off yet and it's 15 minutes past the time he was supposed to be "delivered". I call Mark -- he leaves work and drives to the school where summer camp was held and they tell him all the kids were put on the bus, but they were running a little late since it was the first day of school. I have no idea where my 5 year old who has never been on a school bus in his life is!! I almost wished the kid had a cell phone so I could call and check on him. Finally, I get a call from Mark that Eric's bus has arrived and he is fine. My niece gets Eric home and Mark goes back to work. We leave the Mall and get on the highway to our next doctor's appointment. Once we are back on the road, the van is sounding even worse, but I keep driving ... because I'll be damned if I'm going to miss the doctor's appointment I took off work to make. Suddenly, we hear a loud clunk ... I pull off the highway, sure that I've got a flat tire. I check all the tires and they seem fine, so ... I get back in the car, turn on my hazard lights and drive down the highway going 45 miles an hour in a 65 mile an hour zone because I WILL NOT miss this doctor's appointment. The van continues to shake terribly and at this point Kristi is on the phone to her husband and he is telling me I need to stop driving. Noooooo, I will not miss this doctor's appointment I took off work to make! I do have the sense to get off the highway and take the side streets and WE MADE IT to the pulmonologist's office. Phew! We spend all of 10 minutes with the pulmonologist because Jack is doing so well and we really have nothing to discuss. By this time, I call Mark and tell him there is something wrong with the van and he needs to call the tow truck and come get us and bring us home.

Mark heads home to get the other car (the one we can hopefully all fit in) and calls the tow truck. Kristi, Jack and I hang out at the pulmonologist office waiting for Mark. Did I tell you today was the hottest day of the year so far ... 108! Mark finally shows up and I decide I need something to drink. The pulmonologist office is adjacent to a hospital, so Kristi, Jack and I walk over to the hospital ... in 108 degree weather ... to get something to drink. We make our way through the maze of the hospital and find the cafeteria. We're standing in line to pay for our soda and we hear the vent alarm ... POWER LOST is flashing. Shi$, the vent battery is going dead. I brought the back-up battery, but it's in the van. So, imagine ... Kristi and I running through the hospital pushing Jack's wheelchair as fast as we can, hoping we can make it to the van before the battery dies. By the way, did I tell you it's 108 friggin degrees outside!

We made it back to the van just as the tow truck driver showed up. We had to put Jack in Eric's carseat and shove the wheelchair in the back of my car. But, we did it! Eric survived his first school bus ride, Mary survived her first day at basketball camp, we made it to both doctors' appointments, Jack made it home in one piece and the van is in the shop. Me .... I need a beer. What a day.

Here is the day in pictures:

Jack after getting his botox injections ... not a happy boy.

At the pulmonologist's office -- much happier!

A little wind blown after running through the hospital with the vent alarming "power lost"

The van

Jack in a "regular" car seat and not really too sure about it.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I was getting short of breath just reading this! Whewww, Glad everything worked out in the end. Let us know what was wrong with the van:-(

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know who can make me laugh when YOU have had a stressful/bad day. Your post exhausted me, I can only imagine how all of you felt. I too am glad everything worked out in the end. I hope you got that beer you so deserve!
Miss ya
Carrie

Anonymous said...

What a day! I'm glad Jack got home in one piece with a functioning vent! I'm sorry about the weather--that is ghastly! I'd love to take you out for a beer!!!!!!!! I hope today is better:)

Anonymous said...

Holy crumbs, what a day. I need a beer too after all of that.
So glad that all ended well.
Love,
Tess

Anonymous said...

Good thing I'm drinking a glass of wine while reading your post 'cause I'd have to go get one!!

Anne

Anonymous said...

I have the perfect plan.....quit your job and become a columist or novelist something from home......when I read your blogs I feel like I am right there with you.
Kristina :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ann - I'm exhausted too after reading this - what a day! Hope the van's ok and Jack has got over the discomfort of his botox injections. Sam has really started looking hard at Jack when I am on here and now every time he sees Jacks photo he has to touch him, it's so lovely to watch. Yesterday he stroked Jack's face, though he usually touches the trach!