Monday, May 28, 2007

A Moving Video

My friend Christina -- I say "friend" even though we have never personally met (although we have talked on the phone) because we are friends of the heart -- is Massimo's (aka "Max's") mom and Christina and I met on the trach website because Max has a trach due to complications from being a preemie. Last March, Max had surgery (called an LTR) to open up his airway in the hopes that he would get his trach out. Unfortunately, after a very long month in the hospital struggling to breathe comfortably, Max needed to be retrached. However, Max's doctor and Christina are optimistic that it is a short-term situation and Max will be trach free again soon. Christina chronicled Max's journey in a video she shared with me and gave me permission to share with you. Although this particular journey was only one month, it represents the lifelong journey we parents of children with special needs travel. There are days of hope, days of despair and then returning again to hope in the new day. I was so moved by the video - you can see so much in Max's beautiful eyes. Thank you Christina for allowing me to share this moving video.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, after wiping the tears off my keyboard, I guess I can write something. I am amazed by the strength of our children and the sweetness in their eyes as they struggle to just get through some days. Our lives are filled with such highs and lows. I can only imagine what it must be like to be the child. Thanks for sharing the video.

Anonymous said...

Oh that video brought back so many memories of our summer in Cincinnati. BUT....with such a wonderful outcome. Tell your friend that the day will come for them as well. My 91 year old dad said that Sara spoke to him with her eyes from the first day he saw her. It is so true. These kids teach us so much without ever making a sound!
Hope you have a wonderful summer and I cannot wait to see the pictures and hear all about Jack's visit to the ocean!
Love,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Ann,

That is a powerful video. Max is a beautiful child. Our kids have strength that is something that is frequently underestimated.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was very powerful indeed. Max and Christina are both wonderful.
Love,
Tess