Thursday, November 16, 2006

Irish Dancers

Our sweet Mary and my equally sweet niece Shannon left for Portland, Oregon this evening (with my sister Joan) to compete in an Irish Dance competition. Shannon (who is 17 and a junior in high school) will be dancing both individually and as part of a team called a Ceile (pronounced "Kaylee"). Mary (who is 13 and in 8th grade) will be dancing as part of a Ceile team only. It's a major dance event in the world of Irish Dancing. If you place high enough, you earn the right to compete in the World competition which takes place every Spring in Ireland.

While Mary will be the first to tell you that I am not a big fan of spending my entire weekend at an Irish Dance competition (I'd rather stick needles in my eyes, actually), I really am disappointed that I'm not able to experience such a major competition with Mary. She always does better when I'm not around, so that makes me feel a little bit better. Mary's competition is on Sunday, and Shannon dances both Saturday and Sunday. Send good luck their way and I'll let you know how they do.

Good evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Mary and Shannon!!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Mary and her cousin! They are cuties! Sounds pretty exciting for them!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to the dancers! I hope all goes well and they have safe travels.

Dawna

Anonymous said...

Best of luck Mary and Shannon.....Kick some Irish butt!!

Mary, Nick sends you a big hug and kiss and said "Mary's the best ever dancer"!

Lots of love
Carrie & Nick